Apple-picking season is upon us. If you’re like me, you LOVE going to the apple orchard (shoutout to Jonamac in Malta, IL) and picking a bag full of apples! But then you get home, and you’re like – what am I going to do with all these apples?
Here’s your solution: gluten-free apple pie bars. I’m not a huge baker, but these are so easy and simple to make!
Ingredients for the gluten-free crust:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I used half rice flour and half almond flour)
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (cubed, cold)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- A couple pinches of salt
Ingredients for the filling
- Apples (use different colors!)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- Squeeze half a lemon to finish it off
Putting it all together:
- Oven at 350 degrees. Prep baking dish with unbleached parchment paper.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, butter and vanilla into food processor. (If you don’t have a food processor, I used my ninja bullet and manually pulsed it. It worked perfectly!)
- Press dough into bottom of baking dish. Save some for some crumbles or cut-out shapes/designs on top.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes.
- Slice apples and combine filing ingredients in a bowl. When the crust has cooked for 15 minutes, pour filling onto crust.
- Crumble dough or add crust designs to top of apples.
- Bake for another 35-40 minutes.